I’ve finally finished the first project for the Odin Project! The assignment was to copy Google’s homepage- you can check out the result here. Of course, the search box doesn’t actually work, but the assignment was all about making it look like the homepage. It was great as a project because we essentially had a mockup [the real Google homepage!] and it used a variety of HTML and CSS, applied in realistic ways.
There were some pretty confusing moments for me- mostly surrounding which shade of gray to use [so many!] and there were a couple of times where typos had me banging my head against the wall, so defo going to be more careful in the future. I know I can be a perfectionist, but there’s still one thing that I’m not happy with: the microphone icon inside the search bar. The .gif file from Google displays the icon as black, so to achieve the grey color I had to change the opacity, but that also affects the text typed into the search bar. This wouldn’t be a problem on the real page, because as soon as you start typing it switches to a results page. I would have liked to have worked something out, but I think it’s probably more important to proceed in the course instead of getting hung up on something tiny like that [saying that, I can see myself looking this up some more over the weekend!]
I’ve also started using Sublime Text 2 as my go-to text editor, so it was the perfect opportunity to use it on a project start to finish. It went pretty smoothly, apart from some trouble with .CSS files at the beginning. I’m making much more of an effort to get comfortable with Sublime- little things like using keyboard shortcuts. I’m even tempted to say that purely out of the box I’m finding it easier to use than the previous text editor I was using, Notepad++, but I think a lot of that has to do with me telling myself that I’m going to be using Sublime for the duration of the Odin Project, so I had better like it!
I just finished my assignment this evening, so now I’m off to knit a couple rows and get some sleep, but I’m excited to see what’s going to be in the next part of the Odin Project!